Friday, February 17, 2006

InstrumentaLEE



Here's a bizarre recording from 1967:
Lee Hazlewood conducts the 98% AMERICAN MOM & APPLE PIE 1929 CRASH BAND, performing a selection of his compositions in the style of a vauderville or music-hall band.
When I found this gem in a local second-hand store, I thought it was either a hoax or a contractual obligation release, but the tunes are expertly executed and it certainly sounds like they were having fun in the studio. The seller's description on the price sticker erroneously reads "WEIRD!! Lite Surf 196?" He got the first bit right, but I've yet to hear surf music played like dixie on a honkytonk piano!

The musicians names are cunningly disguised with cryptic pseudonyms. I have read here that Al Casey plays kazoo. Perhaps "Duane Goldfarb - King of the Pluckers" might be Duane Eddy. The liner notes are reproduced below for your enlightenment:

Side One:
01 Summerwine
02 These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
03 Friday's Child
04 Sugartown
05 Shades
Side Two:
06 So Long Babe
07 How Does That Grab You Darlin'
08 In Our Time
09 Not The Lovin' Kind
10 Leave My Dog Alone
11 Houston

Featuring
Lester Lanolin______“And his Pennsyldelphinians”
Pauline Pure_______“Defender of Good, Beater of Drums”
Duane Goldfarb_____”King of the Pluckers”
Ho-Ho-Ho Chi Minh__“Second Abacus Player”
Minny Tonka_______“Guess Which Hand Has the Dandruff Cure”
Sam Ponderosa_____“And His Magic Comb”
Miss Kitty_________“And her Stick Shift Auto Harp”

“My fellow 98* Per Centers:
Music are good. Music are good for you. You should eat at least three songs a day. In a recent government survey we discovered nothing. Chivas drinkers arise... you have nothing to lose but your equilibrium. ‘54-40 or fight’ means as much today as it will next week. Albums is good. Albums is good for you. You should eat at least three albums a day. This album you could eat six... it couldn’t hurt you.”
Lee Hazlewood

*98%... Because nobody is pure, darlin’!

enjoy! 192kbs

postscript:
Lee Hazlewood fans know that there are numerous albums that have never been re-released and are impossible to come by...
If anyone can point me to any of these LPs (listed here) I would be eternally grateful (within the limits of my mortality).
N.S.V.I.P.s (NOT SO VERY IMPORTANT PERSONS) Reprise RS-6133 1964
FRIDAY'S CHILD Reprise RS-6163 1965
LOVE AND OTHER CRIMES Reprise RS-6297 1968
FORTY LHI S-12009 1970
DID YOU EVER w. Nancy Sinatra RCA Victor LSP-4645 1972
I'LL BE YOUR BABY TONIGHT Viking VIF-5004 1973
A HOUSE SAFE FOR TIGERS CBS 80383 1975
20TH CENTURY LEE RCA YSPL-575 1976
note:
for pw check comments

14 Comments:

Blogger Barbecue Bod said...

man that is some pro kazoo!

nice share thnx

10:33 am, February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting, and yes, that's one hell of a kazoo soloist! Thanks!

10:15 pm, February 17, 2006  
Blogger EndlessMike said...

You're off to a nice start here. I've got a copy of The NSVIPs that I've upped for you. The original ripper did it @ 128, unfortunately, but it's better than not having it at all, I reckon.

Cheers!

11:49 pm, February 17, 2006  
Blogger benito X said...

endlessmike, THANKS for the N.S.V.I.P’s!!!

I don’t understand why all those albums of Lee’s haven’t been officially re-released given the obvious interest in all his material that IS available...

Can I list this share on my blog for others?
I wish there was some way to contact you directly... or is there?

7:55 am, February 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice !!!...we need some more lee Hazlewood shares..Ill see what the ROC achives have in the warehouse

2:43 pm, March 03, 2006  
Blogger benito X said...

excellent, the more the merrier,
especially if they're on my wish list...

10:39 pm, March 04, 2006  
Blogger benito X said...

thanks everyone!
not even on my radar - even better!

3:25 pm, March 05, 2006  
Blogger sr. mexicant said...

I'm listening to this album right now and it's excellent, specially "So Long Babe" hehehe, nice album...

Gracias

Si Sennooor!

10:47 pm, March 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the Hazlewood. Thanks for the great post....

1:25 am, April 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your fine blog - but too late for some posts. & I think this one is one of the most rare&curious! But it's deleted by RS. Could ya please upload it again, - sorry for trouble - but lotta thanx if you do it!!!

Michael R, Moscow (your antipode! -I mean geography only!)

3:30 pm, March 08, 2007  
Blogger benito X said...

OK, due to deleters re-posted files now are accessed through Lix.in link protection:
Just follow the link and click on "continue" button.
You will be taken to whichever file host service I'm using (not Rabid-shite!).
If you are asked for a password it is:
realmofx

simple, really!

3:54 pm, March 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I'm sorry, I've done it million times - but here it don't work - you only get a txt. file w/instructions that can't really be followed. Three of us have tried - also same link up there - but it DOES NOT goddamn work!! I'm just goin' crazy, it's early morning, i can't sleep, I'm gonna throw my comp outta the window!!!
Sorry. I'm... sorry. .......

Michael R, ready for fun house.

10:27 pm, March 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello?..somebody home?...im also interested in some files+have some to share...but is here still some sharing possible?

Greetings

1:39 am, August 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, weird stuff, thanks for it, enjoyed a lot !

2:21 am, January 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home